A striking Victorian landmark on a very busy corner. The long parapet conceals a sloping roof and just visible on the corner is the inscription 'Great Eastern Hotel.' Robert Kirby was managing the business in 1874 when a trade directory lists him as a 'victualler and horse letter.' His initials can be seen at the side of the building, picked out in white bricks against the red. The images below were taken before modern UPVC windows were put in - they make a token effort to replicate the pattern of the originals. After closure of the public house it became a nightclub and currently (2108) is awaiting conversion into flats, hopefully showing some sensitivity.
View other unlisted properties on Station Road: