This range of white brick buildings form a very significant element in the local townscape. No 52 (foreground) has another well preserved Victorian shopfront with particularly intricate carving on the supporting brackets. Beyond, No 53 was a shop but has been well renovated and is now a residential property. Removing the paint on the bricks has helped to unify the whole vista. Finally, at the end is the impressive facade of what was the Suffolk and Essex Free Press building, still proudly proclaiming that fact on the gable and designed by T.F. Ray of Sudbury in 1867.The brick detailing is still very crisp, showing the hardwearing qualities of the local Ballingdon whites. Note the Editors letterbox on the left of the far door. Currently in use as the Institute Club.