Sudbury's water supply comes from the thick layer of chalk situated deep underground. Before this waterworks was opened in 1884 people relied on the numerous wells scattered about the town. Water was now raised to the surface through a borehole and then pumped up to the reservoir at the head of York Road which had a 300,000 gallons capacity. This enabled the growth of Victorian and Edwardian housing up the valley slopes to just below the level of the reservoir. The windows are bricked up but the building remains as an important part of the town's history.
View other properties on Woodhall Road