Built in 1875 the villas have both historical and visual interest. They retain their original slate roof which complements the local white brick. Note the use of cast iron for the door and window lintels and the decorative railings along the window sills. The use of iron is hardly surprising because they were built and occupied by the two men who ran the ironworks opposite - in 1881 Mainprice Barton 'engineer employing 18 men and 5 boys' lived at No 1 and Walter Stern 'master millwright and engineer' lived at No 2.
View other unlisted properties on Edgworth Road: