This large concrete pillbox sits behind Ballingdon Street at the end of the garden of No 99 and facing onto the river bank. It was built in 1940 when German forces were gathering across the Channel ready for the invasion of Britain. It formed part of the 'stop line' of pill boxes etc which were intended to hold up any German advance toward London from landings on the East Coast. It housed a field gun which commanded Ballingdon Bridge - the bridge parapet nearest the gun had been removed and the gun would open fire as German panzers attempted to cross onto the Essex bank. Thankfully, it never fired a shot in anger.
View other properties on World War Two relics