Spigot Mortar mount opposite 73 Waldingfield Road

Community

The steel spigot is well concealed by the roadside ivy. It is set into the circular concrete column which was originally sited in a pit, long since filled in. During the invasion scare of 1940 two members of the Home Guard would have mounted their mortar on the spigot and fired at German tanks if they had landed on the East Coast and come down Gallows Hill.

View other properties on World War Two relics

Back to the index of streets

If you care about Sudbury, why not join the Society?
Join us from just £10 per year!
Find out more about membership
Find out how to get involved
Contact Us
Email: info@sudburysociety.org.uk
The Sudbury Society, 
c/o The Christopher Centre, 
10 Gainsborough Street, 
Sudbury CO10 2EU.
Website Design & Build by Mackman

A Mackman Group collaboration - market research by Mackman Research | website design by Mackman

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram