This powerful and imposing building in the Tudor style was the Sudbury Union Workhouse, opened in 1837 at a cost of £7,110 on a site previously occupied by Simon of Sudbury’s medieval College. The architect and builder was John Brown of Norwich: he built the central core with many of the wings to east and west added in later years. In 1929 it was taken over by West Suffolk C.C. and evolved into a local hospital, eventually part of the N.H.S. For good and ill this building complex has been part of the life of this area for over 150 years. Closed as a hospital it is currently (2018) being given a new lease of life as residential accommodation. We welcome the care and sensitivity with which the developers, P.J Livesey, are converting these historic buildings.
View other properties on Walnuttree Lane