The first Belle Vue house was pulled down in 1871 and replaced by this mansion. Judging by old prints its 18thC predecessor was far more elegant and refined but this high Victorian style has its defenders and the house has been put to many different community uses since it ceased to be a private residence. It served as the Sudbury Borough Council offices from about 1918 to1974 and, more recently, as an Adult Education Centre and home for the Citizens Advice Bureau. Currently (2018) it is closed up and its fate is in the balance.
View other unlisted properties on Newton Road: