The south side of East Street is dominated by the fine rows of three storey weavers' cottages dating back to the 1860s and now protected by their national Grade 2 listing. Nos. 48-51 sit next to the junction with Constitution Hill. They were built with three storeys but on the night of March 31st 1916 German Zeppelin L17 dropped a string of bombs across the town and caused serious damage. The cottages were rebuilt after the war but without their second floor. Local historical interest.
View other unlisted properties on East Street: