An impressive three storey brick mill with a loading door on the first floor and projecting hoist in the attic above. Note the cast iron window lintels. The steam engine was probably housed in the lean to building at the side. John Wilson was the miller and baker here in 1868 and it remained in use well into the 20thC although no longer grinding flour for the bakery- older Sudburians remember it as Oakley's Bakers and the road below the hoist often dusted with flour after a delivery. The bakery was in the lower buildings beyond the mill and the baker's shop on the corner - still there as No 47 North Street and now (2018) a Turkish Barbers.
View other unlisted properties on New Street: