The Spread Eagle public house is just one of many that have closed in recent years. It dated from about 1870. Robert Turpentine ran his smithy at the rear of the pub. In the late 20thC many pubs ceased to make a profit and in 2003 the old pub fascia was removed, along with the original doors and windows, and the 'shell' converted into three cottages. The use of contrasting colour washes helps to break up the rather characterless facade.
View other properties on Cross Street