Gainsborough Street 39-40 The Drill Hall


An impressive and highly original building of 1881. The white stone detailing works very well against the rich red brick. The architect, Arthur Grimwood, loved his gables but had problems finding a way of carrying away rainwater without a clutter of drainpipes; his solution is quirky but it works. His father George Henry Grimwood laid the foundation stone as mayor and, as head of the building firm, supervised its construction.

View other properties on Gainsborough Street

Back to the index of streets