Friars Street 1-3

Commercial

An imposing Victorian shopping development comprising two shops of the ground floor with accommodation and offices above. The deep bold carving of the stylised leaves on the pilasters and the crisp detailing of the brickwork are striking features of the buildings. The large curved glass window panes above the corner illustrate just how far glass making techniques advanced in the late 19thC. In 1888 Charles Emmerson, clothier and pawnbroker, occupied No 1 on the corner and Henry Westrope, grocer, was at No 2 -the Thai Restaurant. ( Dec. 2017 No 1 unoccupied - earlier image included)

View other unlisted properties on Friars Street:

Back to the index of streets