Melford Road 91

Residential

No 91 is on the right hand of a pair of weavers' cottages. In 1861 William Edey worked on his loom on the first floor. However, by the late 19thC silk weaving was moving into local factories and No 91 was converted into a shop, retaining the rare Yorkshire sash window on the top floor but with later sash windows on the first floor and a large shop window on the ground floor. By 1912 it had become the premises of George Beevis, pork butcher. Since being put on the Sudbury Local List in 2004 the owners have installed light brown UPVC windows on both the upper floors but the Victorian ground floor facade is intact. First image 2004: second image in 2018.

View other unlisted properties on Melford Road – west side:

Back to the index of streets