No 67 is the first of a terrace of weavers' cottages extending along this side of the road. However, it was never occupied by a silk weaver - in 1861 by James Wheeler, a dealer in stock, lived there, then in 1871 it became a butcher's shop managed by his son Edward. His shopfront is a rare survival with its rail outside for hanging meat and the overhanging canopy. In the 20thC No 67 joined Nos 69 and 71 as part of the Plough PH. Now (2017) Young's Chinese takeaway.
View other properties on Melford Road - west side