An interesting 'infill' development. Most of the west side was developed in the 19thC but Nos 155-157 date from 1924. Of the two No 157 is largely unaltered. Built by the prolific local builder Grimwood and Son on a steeply sloping site - the houses turn their back on the road. The bedrooms and living rooms face south west across North Common Meadow, largely isolated from the traffic noise by hall and landing. The cloak room and bathroom at the front are sunk into the slope beneath a separate section of roof. The peg tiled roofs and use of horsehair in the internal plaster look back to earlier construction methods while the walls are in a modern material - concrete.
View other properties on Melford Road - west side