A pair of imposing detached villas. They share a certain superficial similarity, particularly at eaves and roof level, but the design of the projecting bays is very different. Probably built by Clement Dennington who also built and lived in No 22. No 10 has a connection with the Smith family, still trading at their jewellers in North Street, whilst No 12 was the home of the baker Frederick Ulmer who was hounded out of Sudbury in 1916 by rumours that he was a German spy. The 'proof' was that he had offered 5/- for a PoW postcard from Germany. No 12 was owned by the Pickering family from about 1922 to 1945. During these years George Pickering was the manager of the new Midland Bank on Market Hill and also the commandant of the local Red Cross detachment based at Belle Vue.
View other properties on Melford Road - east side