A contrasting pair of late Victorian villas. No 42 is more or less as it was built whereas No 40 has been altered in recent years to reflect modern tastes and needs. The bricks have been cleaned and a driveway incorporated at the side to allow off-road parking at the rear of the property. The first floor sash window is also a modern replacement, incorporating sealed units to keep out draughts and traffic noise but with a wooden frame closely matching the original. Widow Eliza Rechabina Heale, nee Oakley, had the pair built in 1893 with the help of a £350 mortgage from the local Lodge of the Oddfellows - the chief Trustee was a William Oakley, possibly a relative, but she was still charged the 4% interest.
View other properties on Melford Road - east side