This pair of semi detached villas, along with No 4 were built by Edward Slater of Chilton c 1870 on farmland originally part of the Woodall estate. They share many stylistic features with No 4 such as the inset red brick panels which appear on their facades, chimneys and front walls. The moulded brick detailing of the string course and around the window lintels and front doors draws inspiration from Norman architecture. In 1901 Joseph Hills, the retired Sudbury postmaster, lived at No 6 and John Burlingham, retired farmer at No 8.
View other properties on Melford Road - east side