Melford Road 44-46 Priory and Stour Villas


William Smith, gentleman, bought this plot in 1888 for £77 10 shillings, had the pair of villas built (probably by Clement Dennington) and then rented them out. In 1901 Thomas Haywood, the borough engineer, lived at Priory Villa (right) and Harriet Wheeler, widow, lived on her own means at Stour Villa (left). The pair serenely dominate the road below but pity the poor postman!

View other properties on Melford Road – east side

Back to the index of streets